OM believes that when we promote responsible practices, we not only build better products and a better company, but we also - and just as importantly - meaningfully minimize the impact we have on our environment.
To this end, we’ve established a culture of “Sustainable Environmentalism” — an environmentalism that brings into harmony the enterprise’s economic and environmental responsibilities.
By pursuing an environmental conservationism that aligns with a practical understanding of economic viability, we make OM a more responsible corporate citizen not just for the occasional press release, but day-in and day-out. We believe this quiet, daily decision-making is taking a meaningful stand and making a positive difference for our future generations.
Here are some of the ways that we are as smart about environmentalism as we are about our seating:
Building Sustainability Into Our Products
Sustainability in product design means not only that our chairs are built to last, but also that our material selections are made with the environment in mind. No matter which way you look at it, not having to replace your chair every few years not only saves money but also the limited resources of our environment!
- GREENGUARD Gold Certification on all OM seating
- Custom molded materials from our CFC-free foam cushions to our plastic components such as shells and casters mean less waste and in many cases better comfort and durability as well.
- Recyclability is a key component of our product sustainability strategy: 1) Polypropylene is used on many of our components from back shells to arm frames and can be given a second life as everything from washing machine parts to car fenders. 2) Polyurethane used in creating our seat and back foam can be converted into carpet padding. 3) Aluminum used on our bases and footrings can become part of your car, kitchen appliances, or even golf clubs and power tools. 4) Steel is a key structural component used on mechanisms and arm brackets, etc. and has potential to be re-used in countless ways from buildings to bridges, trucks, tools, etc. 5) Wood such as that used on our seat and back boards can be shredded into mulch and used for landscaping or allowed to decompose.
- 100% water-based glue from a patented Swiss formula means zero emissions hazards and an earth-friendly adhesive that works for the chairs and the earth
- FSC and CARB-certified, tree-farm harvested woods give our chair seats and backs a sustainable but durable structural component
- OM offers a wide range of in-stock and graded-in fabric options that feature either recycled or recyclable content
Encouraging & Reinforcing “Good” Habits
Just as our parents taught us, good habits are important. And good green habits are even more important because of the universal impact that they have: we encourage our customers, vendors and employees to participate in our Sustainable Environmentalism program by cooperating in the following ways:
- Focus on Blanket Wrap shipping programs that utilize no cardboard packaging and maximize the space usage inside a truck because efficiency here means fewer emissions and less truck fuel consumed
- OM receives ongoing recognition for its recycling efforts (winning the California EPA “WRAP” award many years in a row, and being recognized by So Cal Edison’s “Savings by Design” energy efficiency program)
- FSC-certified and recycled content in ALL printed materials: brochures, pricers, business cards, envelopes, labels, etc.
- Minimize cardboard and wood-based packaging materials: 1) We purchase foam industry scraps to keep them out of landfills a while longer and so that they can be reused to protect our chairs in transit. 2) We purchase collapsible steel cages and instruct our vendors to use them in transporting components to us so that we can save on excess waste associated with cardboard
Building a Green Home
OM works from a home base that meets our twin goals of high efficiency and environmental friendliness. We began by exceeding CA’s tough Title 24 energy consumption standards by an average of more than 15%, and took it even further by using green building materials throughout:
- High efficiency HVAC units that utilize green refrigerants, zone dampers and energy saving economizers
- LEED-inspired building materials and lighting (CFL bulbs, recycled material in carpets, Corian countertops, office insulation, door cores, etc.)
- Dual-flush, low-flow and sensor-controlled valves on toilets, urinals and sinks
- Daylight, timer- and motion-activated sensor lighting controls in all warehouse, office and production areas
- Green landscaping irrigation systems that utilize reclaimed waste water
- Green-energy equipment (electric-powered forklifts, pallet jacks, and people movers replacing older propane-driven units)
- Increased percentage of skylight for greater natural lighting